Jade-ite: Westmoreland 's Mint Green
by Uni and Keith Marbutt
Glass Review - December 1985
Glass doesn't always have to be `old' to be collectible or sought
after. Such is the case with Westmoreland's "Mint Green" milk glass,
Now closed, the Westmoreland Glass Company, founded in 1889,
produced beautiful handmade glassware for nearly 100 years. Famous for
their milk glass, this pastel green shade of milk glass was produced
and sold for only two years, 1979 and 1980.
Unique in color, "Mint Green" was not Westmoreland's first attempt
to create a green milk glass. In 1970, Master Chemist Dwight V. Johnson
blended his chemicals to produce a slightly darker, more olive color
called "Antique Green". He adjusted his formula for mint green in
Due to glass trends and public taste, mint green just wasn't
appealing enough to survive the market - thus it's very short run.
Their Mint Green line was extensive! From animals to the traditional
1881 Grape, Westmoreland's quality shows in each piece. Items
- ANIMALS: small butterfly, large butterfly, duck, Love
birds, owl, robin on nest, swallow on branch.
- ASHTRAYS: Ball, 4½" square English Hobnail, 8" square
English Hobnail, 5" round, 6½" round.
- BEADED BOUQUET: (A decoration of hand applied small white
flowers) egg, bud vase, covered candy, heart plate, treasure chest,
straw jar, jewel box, cameo covered candy, basket, heart jewel box,
6" vase, sweetmeat
- BELLS: large Beaded Bouquet, small Beaded Bouquet, small
- DOGWOOD: (A decoration of Dogwood Flowers) - heart plate,
puff box, jewel box, trinket box, treasure chest, covered candy, egg,
vase, basket, bud vase.
- LIGHTS & LAMPS: "Mini Lights - Candle/Glass globes
atop a glass pedestal: Butterfly, Del Rose, Dogwood, Birds,
Strawberry, Beaded Bouquet, Christmas. "Picture Frame Mini
Lite"/Beaded Bouquet. "Fairy Lite"/Beaded Bouquet. "Mini Electric
Lamps"/Beaded Bouquet, Beaded Bouquet Tiffa w/Scallop edge, Roses
Tiffa w/Scallop edge, Beaded Bouquet picture frame.
- MISCELLANEOUS: Beaded Bouquet Slipper, Beaded Bouquet
- PLAINWARE: Candlestick, 2 styles, cupped bowl, sweetmeat,
covered candy, bud vase, covered sugar, Dogwood Embossed basket,
hands, covered honey, cookie jar - Cherry Embossed, Open Lace Edge
bell bowl, Open Lace Edge candlestick, Shells & Dolphin covered
- 1881 GRAPE: puff box, 9 and 15" vase, 3 piece Epergne set,
candlesticks, oval bowl, crimped candy, handled nut, snack
The following list of items we've obtained but ARE NOT in the
Westmoreland catalogs as the previous items are. We think most are
experimental pieces although some could be catalog supplement or dealer
- 5" round ashtray w/yellow roses
- 1881 Grape crimped candy w/Dogwood decoration
- 1881 berry bowl
- 1881 10½" dinner plate
- 1881 8½" luncheon plate
- 10½" plate w/Harvest decoration
- 8½" plate w/Christmas decoration
- Tid-bit tray
- Plain treasure chest
Yes, Westmoreland also made "Soft Mist" but we'll tell you about
Needless to say, Westmoreland glass in any color is becoming
increasingly harder to find at their once reasonable prices. To date,
we've been notified twice to "Get it NOW before it's GONE" and, thanks
to Trudy Sparks, a past Gift Shop Manager at Westmoreland, we GOT IT!
... but not one of each, so we are still searching.