Hocking Glass Company was founded in Lancaster, Ohio, in 1905 and named for the Hocking River, located nearby. When the plant burned down in 1924, Hocking rebuilt it. They also purchased the Lancaster Glass Company and the Standard Glass Company in the same year. Hocking continued its acquisition policy, taking over several other small companies during the first few years of the depression.
Hocking not only produced "depression glass" patterns of glassware (such as Block Optic, Cameo, Fire King and Fortune, just to name a few), but had an enormous business making bottles (particularly beer bottles) and other glass container items. In 1937, Hocking merged with Anchor Cap and Closure Corporation to form Anchor Hocking Corporation. The merged company continued its acquisition policy over the years, even into the 1960s and 1970s. In 1987, Anchor Hocking was acquired by the Newell Corporation and it continues in operation today under the name Anchor Hocking Glass and Anchor Hocking Specialty Glass Corporations as part of Newell.
Click on the thumbnail image to see a larger photo of the advertisement.
|Thumbnail||Description of Advertisement||Thumbnail||Description of Advertisement|
|Anchor Hocking Jadeite, 1948||Anchor Hocking 50th Anniversary, 1955|
|Anchor Hocking Bubble, Boopie, 1954||Anchor Hocking Bubble, Boopie, 1950s|
|Anchor Hocking Fire King, 1950s||Anchor Hocking Fire King, 1950s|
|Anchor Hocking Fire King, 1970||Anchor Hocking Everyday Glassware, 1970|